Wednesday 19 August 2009

“BREEZING”

I do a lot of looking out the window
To see what I can see
Today what holds my attention
Is this one particular tree
On the main road it easily stands four storeys in height
Its all-shaded green leaves so luscious looking
Like edible velvet I want to stroke or bite
To feel its softness beneath my fingertips
To wrap myself in its leafy yoke
Imagining butterfly touches as they trail my skin in the breeze…
A sight so beautiful as to make one hold a breath and choke.

But often the reality is harsher
Crispy and sharp edges of bitter leaves
That crumple in my hand
That scratch me leaving marks
As slowly, they spring back once more
I look next at the patchy bark
Its trunk and arms splattered with age
And the effects of pollution
Then I think how long has this tree been there?
To have aged and grown so tall
How has the industrial landscape
Formed… changed, around its limbs?
What stories could this tree tell?

I visualise myself standing, watching the tree
As time slides backwards around me
Covering minutes, hours, days
The change in seasons
Time rolls even further back, weeks, months, years
Buildings destroyed in reverse deconstruction
Landscapes revitalised to their former glory
To the shape of their former barren lands
As all traces of man vanish and disappear in nature’s fertile glory.

©16th July 2009-16:08pm Written by Angela Edgar
WWW.ANGEE.CO.UK All Rights Reserved.
Unauthorised Reproduction Prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment